You Make the Call...Drafting...What Happened


Catch up HERE first.

Sorry everyone, but I failed this exam when I took it.

You see, when I was advised the primer motor failed, I simply opened the tank to pump, backfilled the hard suction and pump and began to throttle up. As I slowly opened the line I slowly closed the tank to pump, which caused the pump to draw water from the hard suction.

I failed the test with water flowing.

I was supposed to alert the IC my motor was dead and could not draft. So I told them that I would tell the IC that my motor was dead and I would continue to flow water as long as possible.

I still failed. The next time I stood there and said, "Tell the IC the motor is dead." and I passed.

If you said flow water another way, you made the right call.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am desperately trying to find a reason why this lesson is teaching/verifying the ability to report a broken thing while not capable of recognizing the value of overcoming 'pump adversity'. If they want to teach proper reporting/communication, you can do that in a classroom without running equipment. Does this particular kind of head-scratcher take place often there?

- F4
The Happy Medic said…
Indeed. There is one way to do things and one way only. Understandable to have a uniform basis to build from.

The good news is that a larger number of folks are experimenting when at drills and learning new ways to do things more efficiently.

I asked "How did they draft before there were primer motors"
and the response was "Don't try to talk your way out of this one."
Anonymous said…
===========
I asked "How did they draft before there were primer motors"
and the response was "Don't try to talk your way out of this one."
===========

** (dumb-struck stare.... speechless) **

- F4
Anonymous said…
I guess the old adage of "If you can't do, teach!" is practiced in your neck of the woods too.
AdCy said…
I'm just starting FAE, and they already taught how to pull a draft that way...less work on the pump. Go figure.
Ckemtp said…
When I learned how to do that the instuctor almost failed me because I didn't have a 'Chaw of tabaccy in my lip when I did it.

Guess that's what I get for growin up so rural midwestern.

I thought that the best answer you could get from an IC when reporting a problem was, "So you fixed it, right?"