A Whole New World

On a summer day back in 1996 I walked into the trailer at the Isleta EMS and Fire Station and began my paid career helping people.  I have worked a variation of a 24 hour schedule ever since and it has become second nature to be away from my family for long stretches in exchange for a few days in between.

 

That will make Monday all that much more interesting.

 

On Monday I hang up my turnouts and late nights without sleep in exchange for a promotion and a reassignment downtown.  That also means giving up that ever so comfortable and vacation friendly schedule.

 

I was bummed at first until I realized that now the HMjrs are in school and we can't just pick up and go somewhere whenever we feel like it anymore.  When this job at headquarters opened up it seemed too perfect a fit.

 

Monday I will take over the vacant CQI position that has been retooled ever so slightly to now officially include research.  Talk about a perfect chance to mine the data to see what is really going on out there.  I have lofty goals for my service, but it's going to be a long while of playing catch up and learning the new job before I can start going forward with new ideas.  I also have a new political landscape to consider and will be in direct contact and communication with the regulatory agencies, budget writers and vendors that all have a stake in patient care in my jurisdiction.

 

It's an amazing opportunity for me both professionally and personally and I am beyond excited to get started.

 

About the blog...

There will be a slow tapering off of 911 stories, I've got quite a few more half written and half anonymized just waiting in the wings, but there will likely be a shift in what I share.  My EMS 2.0 rants may well turn into updates about what I'm dealing with in that little office downtown.  I won't be changing the name of the blog to Happy Captain (or Happy Cappy as MC suggested) since this is about my therapy, not necessarily an accurate mirror to my own life.

I now join the ranks of Sparrow, Morgan, Crunch and Stubing, to name a few.

 

Thanks for all your supportive messages on FB and Twitter.

 

-Captain HM  ;)

Comments

Congrats my friend! Can't wait to see updates on the new position... Oh, and Isleta? I'm so sorry :P J/K man :)
Efd996mk said…
Congrats Cap!
Sebbawong said…
I am looking forward to seeing you infiltrate command from the inside as well as progress towards your stated goals! Sebwong
Fern the Fire-Rescue newbie said…
Congrats Captain HM!
Rich Huff said…
Excellent deal. Congrats
FDMedic said…
Congrats, Cap'n!
mack505 said…
Congratulations, Captain!
Too Old To Work said…
And of course, Kangaroo. Congrats.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations.
What is CQI?
Lynda Otvos said…
Congrats, Captain, looking forward to seeing the change as it embodies.