A Comment from The Most Important Chart she'll ever write

Reader BG Miller left the following comment on my post about how a seemingly NBD (No Bog Deal) chart could be the most important one we write:
Okay, question from one of the non-EMS readers...
One of the injuries being listed for Zimmerman is having his head bounced off the concrete one or more times.  So you have a patient with a possible head injury who is experiencing great emotional stress and possibly shock, (unless he is a complete psycho, but that's another argument) is he capable of signing a refusal?

Of course he is.

"Having his head bounced off the concrete" is not an injury, but a...wait for it...mechanism of injury, meaning he experienced an event that could have led to an injury.  Similar to saying "He got stabbed."  Well, where, how deep, with what?  All those questions have to be asked to establish the extent of a possible injury.  So if I was told that at the scene we would transition, in my opinion based on little else, that this would shift from a refusal to an AMA consult with online medical control.  He'd also get a full work up in my office, not in the squad car.  Depending on the discoloration, shape, sound and feel of his injury (yes, I said sound) refusal may be out of the question.  Certain injuries can indicate that a significant amount of force caused it and remembering that the brain inside the skull can be injured just as badly, if not worse in some cases, can lead us to determine appropriateness for transport.

In my system, if a person exhibits trauma above the clavicles, they are candidates for full C-spine precautions.

Being capable of signing the refusal is an easy determination to make, it is when he should be evaluated and refuses is when it gets sticky.  This kind of scenario is when the lie of kidnapping gets added and we all panic and say we won't kidnap the person who needs further assessment and just walk away.

 
Under ordinary circumstances getting his head smacked might leave him a bit dizzy but aware enough to decide on his own treatment.  Under ordinary circumstances a fight/shooting might put him under emotional stress but able to understand the medics treating him.  But what about when those two are combined?  Does that change your interaction with him as a patient?

As I mentioned above, if you as a witness tell me those things happened I need to better assess for an injury.  That is when we move to the ambulance, doors closed, lights turned up, so we can see everything the cops and their flashlights missed.  Funny thing  about cops, they are trained to look for weapons, drugs, offensive motions etc, but few of them have any clue how to assess for an injury. "He ain't bleedin' " tells my nothing Serpico.  Bleeding is the least of my concerns.  From the cot inside the rig we can assess and if indicated initiate transport after convincing the patient it is warranted. "Look, you're already in here, we could be there in 10 minutes and it's done." "You don't need it? Well, you might be right, but let's make sure, wadda ya say?"  If he needs to go, we can convince him it was his idea in the first place if we do it right.

Emotional stress accounts for most of my calls.  I often joke that we spot you 20 points on your blood pressure because of all the sirens.  If I had just shot someone I would be...well...I don't know.  I would have to assume I'm jittery from the adrenaline of nearly being killed, killing someone, and now being assessed for an injury.  However, the down from that high could also be intense.  we all handle stress differently and can't draw any conclusions from a person's demeanor or level of calmness at the scene.

 
Also, having read a few cop's take on self-defense shootings, it seems common that the problem the police face isn't getting the shooter to talk to them but getting the shooter to shut up long enough to be mirandized.  Like someone that's been through anything traumatic they tend to babble a bit.  So as a medic do you note what they are saying in your report?  "Came out of nowhere," being mumbled will have a different spin in court than, "I shot him."


I too have seen a tendency of purposeful shooters to not stop talking, mostly of the walk by and drive by variety, boasting of their accuracy or the severity of the wounds of their target.  When it comes to documenting their responses or comments, I stick to what is medically pertinent.  In this case, since the patient was involved in a violent action I will have PD in the ambulance with me and searched prior to being placed in the ambulance.  If he mumbles something it is the officer that needs that information, not me.  I could not care less why he did what he did, I care about his injuries.  If he mentions "Dude had a baseball bat and then everything went dark..." I note the bat because it directly impacts my impression of the injury.  Other details we're better off pretending we didn't hear and let the police handle it.

 

Thanks for a great question.  What about you fellow EMSers?

Comments

Motorcop said…
"Pretending we didn't hear it"?  So, what happens when I document what the patient said and who was present when he said it?  

I both understand and agree with your primary purposes at the scene, but occasionally you may be called on to do more than that.  Just like if I beat you to a MedPD call...it is expected that I render aid.

Thoughts?
Thehappymedic said…
When I have a patient, I can't help you be a policeman.  I need to focus my train of thought on the injury and my treatments.  You can document what the patient says and that I was there and if I happen to remember it, great, but we can't be stopping and taking notes on everything, I think you'd agree.  Will you be taking notes on my assessment or focusing on being a policeman?  Hopefully you'll ignore my assessment until I bring something important to your attention.

Now, had I been stupid enough (say it ain't so!) to leave without you in the back I had better write down as much as I can in a separate document at a later time.  Events like 'He came out of nowhere" mean nothing to the treatment. "He came at me from the side out of nowhere" now that gets entered into the record, possibly changed to "Pt states assailant approached from right side with closed fist."

My main point is to not get distracted trying to be Robin to your Bat Man, but focusing on the important person in this scenario, the patient.
mpatk said…
Agreed, that we're there to treat the patient; but talking about "pretending we didn't hear it" is a different story.  When it comes to anything the patient says about non-medical matters, we're not exempt from the rules that all citizens have to follow.  If the patient is
talking about the incident and I hear him/her, then I'll report it if
asked.  I'm not going to question the patient about non-medical
information, and I may be a little too busy with patient care to hear
every muttering the patient makes; but I'm not going to pretend that I
didn't hear something that was said if I do hear it.