20 Children

The most amazing thing about a blog is that you can take a full day's worth of frustration, anger and confusion and just let it out.  I wrote an angry diatribe that ended with just under 8000 words.  I blamed the left, the right, the shooter, the community, the family, myself and a host of other groups before I learned that it took getting all of that out to realize the truth:

Shit happens.

It's not discounting what happened or an insult to the community recovering from this act, but a realization that no gun, no government, no policy or plan from any politician, priest or partner could have prevented a man from believing that such a selfish, cowardly act could solve anything.

Some people needed intervention long ago.  Some people have access to devices that can kill large numbers in short times.  Sometimes they're the same person.

Some people will default to their core beliefs instead of dealing with what happened.

Few will learn from it.

Will you?

Write a letter about your feelings and destroy it.  It helps.

Hug your kids again, it's been a rough week.

-HM

Comments

Andrew said…
I know this exact feeling! From what I have seen through my experience in EMS, I feel like there is very limited mental health support in our current health care system. I don't know if that is a factor, or if it would have made a difference, but I cannot help but think that it is a part of what happened this morning, what has happened in the past, and what continues to happen world wide.
Michael said…
The only thing that I can say is that this is pure evil... And there is no way to legislate against pure evil.