Why can't the waitress bring me my food?

I can not wrap my head around what is happening in restaurants these days.

 

We are seated by the hostess and she makes sure we have our menus and place settings.  Well, at least she's supposed to.

Then an either overly friendly or clearly distracted waiter will come over and offer us an appetizer and to get us started with drinks.  OK, sure, I'll have a water.  And have you ever introduced yourself back when they tell you their name?  It's like they're confused.

Then the server gets deflated thinking I'm only drinking water when in reality I'm ordering it now because if I ask for a water AND a beer, they'll forget the water all together.

 

We finally order and are awaiting the food.  No surprise there.  If the food comes out too fast you have to wonder, right?

 

Then the oddest thing happens.

Someone, not our waitress, brings out the food.

Not only do they have no idea who ordered what, but it's never how we ordered it.  Why? Because if the waitress had picked it up she would have noticed the salad never made it out, that the wrong kind of meat is in the tacos and that the sauce with the chicken only rhymes with what I asked for, specifically.

"But your food gets out quicker this way."

No, I never got MY food, I got what they brought, but it was wrong.

Then as soon as it hits the table the waitress magically appears asking if we got everything OK.

No, no we didn't, where were you?

Why does any Tom, Dick or Harry wandering past the pass think it's OK to grab my order and bring it out?  If there's a mistake that is where you want to find it, not when Johnny the under waiter brings me the tray and has to ask about each and every dish.  Sally is serving Table 5, let Sally check on the food.

Each and every argument for the speed or so called efficiency of this system is countered by the fact that your speed is costing quality.

And it's not just where I ate tonight, but most establishments today.  Waiting for food that is as ordered is OK, rushing me something close and thinking I won't notice is no way to run a service based industry.  If the servers need help, let the under waiters handle all the drinks and refilling the waters and all the crap that seems to be "bothering" the waitress and distracting her from making sure the orders come out as...well...ordered.

And another thing, while I'm at it, waitresses, please look at the table you're about to talk to and gauge if it's the right time to ask if everything is OK.  I once ate at a restaurant where the waiter seemed to be just out of visual range...ALL THE TIME.  As soon as the water was low, he happened to be nearby with the pitcher.  Never once asked how we were or how the food was.  He just knew that since we were there and he was there that if we had something to say we'd say it.

I never waited tables and I'm not ragging on the waitresses, I'm asking this to the managers.  The ones who sometimes bring out said food or are idle in the corner in their tie staring out into the dining room.  The ones who awkwardly go from table to table every hour asking the same lame question: "Everything good here?"

For the third time and while I'm wrangling a kid with my mouth full of food, "mmmphmmdp"

And he's gone.

</rant>

Comments

BGMiller said…
Speaking as someone that's been a line dog in the back it's a bit annoying to us too.

Because on the odd occasion that someone actually corners a server and gets a complaint through what's the first thing you hear?

Oh, the kitchen must have gotten it mixed up.

Um...
No.

Not saying we're perfect but most of the goofs I've seen are because a server can't hit the right button on the POS terminal or just grabs plates because it looks like her table's stuff.

Or worse yet a floor manager or (gods save me and owner) with no clue how the pass actually works steps in to "help" and screws everything to hell and gone.

Over the years I've worked with some really good servers.
In not quite two decades I can recall both of them clearly.

Part of the issue is that waiting tables is seen as a menial or temporary job here in the states. I'm not one to generally sing the praises of European ways but in a fair chunk of that place across the ocean there are actual schools for waiters and it's a respectable career.

sigh.......

BGM
Everyone obsessed over fast service, to the point that quality is sacrificed for it, and the customer gets neither what they want nor need, and the managers think that as long as the service is fast, the shoddy quality and inefficiency will go unnoticed by the customer...

... boy, there's an EMS allegory just BEGGING to be made there.
Jackie said…
http://www.crescentavalleyweekly.com/viewpoints/04/18/2013/letters-to-the-editor-134/

There should be more restaurant managers like this ine.
BH said…
Quicker you get your food, the quicker you leave and they turn the table.

Part of me thinks they count on you being too afraid to send anything back.
BGMiller said…
Shhhhhhhhhhhh............

;)

BGM
D said…
Well what if grandma is out to dinner, and she skipped lunch today. At this point her blood sugar is getting low. Any second now she is going into a diabetic coma. I want my restaurant to deliver possibly sub-par un-requested food *fast* every time, so gandma can have a drink of the orange juice that table 3 ordered.
Bam, another life saved...
Joe said…
I worked as an Expiditer, the guy who finishes you food once the cooks make it, adds sauces and such and group them on the racks by table. Then a runner comes and grabs them and brings them to the table.

The problems are solely on the wait staff. Every software in use has a way to put the food in by seat, so when the runner grabs the ticket they can see Seat 1 got the steak, Seat 2 got the chicken, ect. But in most cases the wait staff doesnt do this and put all the food under seat 1 or no seat at all. Then the runners have to guess or ask

And the wait staff hit the wrong buttons or forget. In 99% of orders messed up, what they wrote down doesnt match the ticket printed at the expo station, but the food matches the ticket 99% of times
Touche. Sound arguments. Keep up the great effort.

Feel free to visit my blog post :: En chute libre telecharger
Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found
a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to
her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to
tell someone!
hi!,I like your writing very much! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra about your
article on AOL? I require an expert on this space to solve my
problem. Maybe that's you! Having a look ahead to peer you.


Look into my blog post :: Sweet Revenge Télécharger le film
Read Home said…
You understand thus considerably in the case of this subject, produced me individually imagine it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women don't seem to be involved unless it's one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice. All the time maintain it up!
va.mu said…
I don't even know how I ended up here, but
I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to
a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!