Ambulance Response Time Resolution Theater

A Paramedic I work with in CQI and I were having a conversation that was originally aimed at discovering the best way to handle complaints that had no merit.
You know the complaint:
"your paramedics stole $8000 from my wheelchair when they took me in for a swolen toe"
or
"I was almost late for my podiatry appointment..."
We also discussed how to respond when someone mentions a minor issue and follows it up with "I don't want to get anyone fired or anything but..."
Apparently telling them "Oh, no one is getting fired. Not for using the siren on your street when you told the call taker your husband couldn't breathe."
But our conversation yielded a brilliant idea I don't think anyone has tried before:
Ambulance Response Time Resolution Theater.
Here is how it works:
Someone calls in complaining about the time it took to get an ambulance for a minor issue, that they were taken to the wrong ED even though transport was not indicated etc etc. In other words, most of our clients.
When they call in, tell them to come by at 4:30 on Friday for a formal apology. If 4:30 isn't when your cardiac arrest survivor comes in to meet the crew that saved them, then adjust as necessary. Tell the complainant they can sit in if they like but you'll need to address the heart attack first.
They may not connect the dots but it sure will make you feel better.

Comments

Nick said…
Please tell me this happened, or is about to happen in your patch.