Fresh perspective

Can you really ever see something from a fresh perspective?

If you are in the middle of a storm, how can you step back and see anything BUT a storm?  Much like looking at a cloud, as soon as it looks like one thing, you'll constantly see it as that until it's gone from site or morphed into something new.

 

Listen to an old song and sing the wrong words?  Even though you know for a fact there's a bad moon on the rise, not a bathroom on the right?  How can we clear out the mental cobwebs that keep us seeing what we see and hearing what we hear?

Do we seek out new clouds and new music or are we simply exchanging one set of perspectives for another?  How can one truly CHANGE perspective?

It begins with challenging your comfort zone, your home base.

Why do you feel the way you do?

What motivates you to feel that way?

What influences are in place to maintain those feelings?

Do the people around you support your perspective or do they challenge it?

Do your activities allow you to challenge your perspective or do you find comfort in the status quo?

All these questions are important when evaluating change of any kind but are essential when evaluating change that impacts more than simply your own little world.  Imagine that seeing that cloud as a dinosaur instead of a tea pot meant lost jobs, revenue, market share or something else important to your agency?  What if the old lyrics meant a low paying, poor working conditions job but the proper lyrics meant a better opportunity for you and your family?

Would you still stick with the dinosaur or would you ask others what they see and possibly be tainted by their perspectives?

Would you sing the old lyrics and shuffle along or will you challenge your perspective, your ideas, your beliefs?

Changing course on major decisions isn't easy and should not be undertaken without serious consideration of the impacts of your perspective.

After all, what if you're wrong but won't challenge your pre-conceptions enough to find out before it's too late?

Comments

Red Feather said…
I suppose as long as you keep your head in the clouds it's easy not to worry about someone else losing their job.
Justin said…
Red Feather, thanks for commenting. My post was about challenging preconceptions, perspectives and the "comfortable way" of doing things. Complacency is the #1 enemy of Paramedics in my experience, both at my current agency and others and other QA managers I've spoken to agree. When we fall back on the routine, the "normal" and the "comfortable" there is a false sense of security I've written about many, many, many times. When faced with a challenge to my comfort zone I have to constantly question why I do what I do, both in my work and my home life and I encourage all my readers to do the same. After all, it was a challenge of my status quo that got me out of the Reservation and back into school. Thanks for reading!