Tinglings of Inadequacy

In Paramedic School there were three know-it-alls in the back row.  Every Paramedic class had them.

They asked questions with 3 minutes left in class, always challenged the instructors for more challenging scenarios and seemed to always hit the airway lab right when everyone else broke for lunch.

They challenged test questions, the sequencing of interventions in answers and were eventually separated for testing, you know, "Just in case they're cheating."

They had their own study group, volunteered to teach the EMT and EMT-I classes when instructors needed a break.  All 3 of them stood together and graduated with their Bachelor's of Science in EMS on the same day.

Then they drifted apart.

Weddings, kids, careers.

Then one of them got into Medical School.  He sat to my right and is now a full fledged MD.

The kid to my left we called Doogie because he was young and smart.  I just found out today he will be completing Nurse Practitioner school in December.

My 2 best friends throughout Paramedic School and our clinical rotations, the guys I laughed with, cried with, broke bread with and, come to think of it, literally bled with, have achieved so much and I couldn't be prouder of either of them.

Dr Ian Medoro and soon to be NP Josh Kinnunen were my best friends for many years.  And even though life pulled us in different directions I am beside myself in admiration to the both of you.  We all had the same start, the same passion for quality patient care and have landed in three drastically different places.  The 2 of you seeking out more education and fitting into another form of care while I'm still in the field with my name on my shirt.

Those days listening to Larry and Kyle inspire us to do better, the anatomy lectures that seemed never ending, the waitress at the Applebees on bottomless chicken strip basket Fridays (I think we put her through grad school) will always be some of my best memories.

 

So congrats Doogie on making NP and congrats Ian on making MD!  The guy in the middle is happy where his is and proud of where he's been.

Comments