Overheard in the jetway of gate A4

Your heroes are awaiting an aircraft to pull into the gate with a reported medical emergency.

"Control to units at gate A4, is the aircraft at the gate?"

"This is 67 at A4, yes the aircraft is here."

"We're getting reports of a fire in the engine, standby."

We just looked at each other, then out the windows as the tones dropped on our radios.

"Rescues 33, 47,56,10,11,65,91,93 AGI (Aircraft Ground Incident) in progress at Gate A4, engine fire.  Repeating..."

I didn't hear her repeat the message - out the door and down the stairs to the ground crew to assess the fire.  Funny how we didn't see it on the way up the stairs not 60 seconds ago.

I'm down and no one sees anything.  We confirm with the pilot there is no fire in any of the 4 giant engines on the A340.

I cancel the AGI and go back upstairs where the crew is treating a minor health condition.  I get a call on my Dept phone and hear laughter.  A dispatcher who can barely keep the laugh at bay relays to me what happened.

"The (giggle) airline got a call from a (laughter from behind them) passenger who called in that...that um...(giggles)(sigh) OK, I can do this...that there was an engine fire at gate A4 (laughter)."

"OK, I'm missing something."

"The translator got it wrong.  (a composed sigh and breath) There was a fire engine at gate A4 not an engine fire at gate A4."

I giggled.

Comments