Dear Valencia County Fire Chiefs

Are you Fracking kidding me?

I hope you have google alert installed so you can see this:

Steven Gonzales, Nicholas Moya, Casey Davis of the Valencia County NM Fire Department.

You went to FDIC clearly to have a good time, as evidenced by the inappropriate photos that have surfaced of you and scantily clad women at a bar.  I can't tell who is who in the photos, but it looks like a Department logo and your NAME on your shirt!

 

Remember when I was there and the Random Township folks disrespected an instructor and left?  I think you three owe the Township an apology.  Here I was thinking there was no way anyone was going to outdo that level of disrespect to the fire service.

You clearly make bad decisions and still live with the belief that just because you're out of the County the rules don't apply.  They wouldn't, if you had just changed shirts.

 

Is it so hard to do?

 

When I know I'll be visiting a place where things might get interesting, I leave the logo apparel in the room, fellas, then I think about what I'm about to do.  Two things clearly lost on you at the time.

For the younger guys that may have heard your stories about FDIC and the never ending party it is, did you ever mention Chief Bob Atlas and his 11 points of leadership?  What about Chief Viscuso's presentation on his book Step Up and Lead?  Did you make any of the classes or is this the only lesson we learned on this trip?  The news story mentions you stated that you were "waiting for the convention to open", not "in between classes."  Heck this was probably happening at the same time as my FDIC presentation on MCI. (It was amazing by the way)

 

What I see at FDIC usually makes me shake my head and wonder why folks don't just turn the T shirt inside out at the bar after class.  If you want to take these pictures after a full day of classes, training or whatever (and you're off company time) go for it, who am I to stop you?

If you're out in a Bass Pro Shops hat and SF Giants T-shirt I may not even notice. Go nuts dude! Consenting adults and all that...

If you go out wearing the cross you don't just represent yourself or your Department, you act as a symbol of what the rest of us stand for.  You are representing the ENTIRE Fire Service and I do not consent.

 

Your significant others are punishing you far more than I could and your Department should at least rescind all travel stipends and hours for the trip, so I'll leave your tongue lashing here and add this letter of reprimand to your file.

 

If you are lucky enough to attend again, might I suggest a quick lunch at nearby Kilroy's?  Great chicken strips and tots, and beer if allowed, without all the career risking shenanigans.  I do lunch there everyday at FDIC.

I'll be at the left hand side of the bar next year if you'd like to discuss this in person.

-HM

 

Comments