Engine 51, Truck 8, Alexa reports smoke in Nana's kitchen...Utilizing smart speakers for our aging population

A few years back when Alexa was first gaining speed in the market, SNL did a hilarious sketch about the generation most likely to have trouble with new technology.  Have a watch...

My brother from another mother, MC, has an Alexa dominated home.  Alexa can control the TV, the living room lights, even when MClet #3 has to brush her teeth.  While I have no Alexa, I'm a big believer in the technology and the automated home. That being said I've got reservations about the "constantly listening" feature and how Google seems OK with recording it, cataloging it and sending it to the wrong family, but I had a thought last night when my smoke alarm went off for some Tri-Tip.

First, yes I do tri-tip in the oven sometimes.  It smokes up something fierce and I always forget to pull the hallway smoke detector.  Second, I thought to myself "Self?  Why don't you invest in a smart smoke detector that can audibly warn you if there's smoke, then respond to verbal commands to disarm?"

"Well, self, that's not a bad idea...why not buy one for the grandparents and have it notify me as well if there's smoke?"

Dang, self...that's a really good idea!

The idea is simple enough:

Onelink smart detector on Amazon.com
We install a smart Alexa multi gas detecting alarm in the home of someone who may need an extra set of eyes and ears around from time to time.  Here's an example from Amazon of their Alexa enabled Onelink multigas detector.  This device can sense smoke and CO and can serve as an Alexa speaker if you so choose.  With this enabled, one could have peace of mind that if the CO alarm goes of at Nana's house, you can get an alert and notify 911 while that familiar voice tells Nana to shut off the gas and get outside to fresh air.

The applications of this technology far exceed the hilarious SNL video, allowing our aging family to access us with simple voice commands.  Think about it again...Alexa is there to let us know when they need us.  There is no better application for this technology than that!

However, I ran into a pretty big hurdle to my idea of wirelessly monitoring the aging population...

Wifi.

The smart devices still need a network to operate on and it's hit or miss as to whether Grandma and Grandpa are up to date on their wireless router settings.  Without a smart network, the smart detector is just an expensive smoke alarm.  Is there a solution where these devices could connect to a low band free public safety wireless signal by chance?  Who knows.

For the moment it's a great concept that I think deserves a closer look.  If you know of someone who could use a spare set of eyes on their situation and have wifi available, why not order the piece of mind of knowing if something goes wrong?

If nothing else they can keep tabs on all their news, weather and pop culture, just like in the video.

What do you think?  Is the boomer generation ready to have Alexa tell them when their home isn't safe?  have you sought out this solution and does it work?  I'd love to know, drop me an email thehappymedic@gmail.com

Comments

Matthew Woodall said…
The possibilities for this are huge. Far beyond just fire and co alerting, what if they could be trained to recognize the sound of a fall and ask if the person needs assistance? Or to automatically call through a list of people if they hear someone shouting "Help!"

I agree with the problem of WiFi, but with the coming of 5G networks the WiFi issue may solve itself in the next few years as we transition away from WiFi and 4G networks into full 5G systems.

I've posted some more of my thoughts on my blog over at https://matthewgwoodall.com/2019/01/20/smart-homes-safe-homes/