Firefighter Basics - SCBA Mask Bag

As a firefighter in one way, shape or form for the last 24 years, I've been putting on turnouts since the day before my 16th birthday, 2 years before my volunteering days. I was an Explorer Scout with the local Fire Department and all I had on me was what was issued: Helmet, coat, pants, boots, gloves and a 2 D-cell flashlight. Well into my Volunteer days I began to notice my gear was lacking a few important items. It took me a long time to figure out what works best for me and I wish I had it all one that day at the supply depot back in 1992. To cheat ahead and see all the Firefighter Basics I recommend, head over to the Resources page.

As a volunteer Firefighter I was always responding from home, work or school and had all my gear in a big red bag.  Buried somewhere inside was my mask, something I wanted to keep clean and readily deployable.  The SCBAs allowed us to clip the masks on the regulator, but then it would swing into the water, mud and debris typical at a house fire.

It wasn't until my urban firefighting days that I got a mask bag like this one:

  This bag from Lightening runs less than $20 (with free shipping for Amazon Prime members) and has features my first bag never did including a reflective strip, handles and a velcro closure.  My first bag was a drawstring closure and was jet black.  This made it even harder to find in the back of a dark Engine cab on the way to a fire or dug out of my gear bag at the beginning of the shift.

Early on we shared masks, all you had to do was make sure the size on your airpack was the right one and that was all it took.

Now we are issued masks and this is a great way to protect them.

Certainly a must have and a Firefighter Basic.


Plus, look at the color options!  Click your favorite to learn more from Lightening.


Comments