Paramedicine should be part of a 2 Year Degree. Change my mind IAFC

If you are drinking coffee, put it down before you spit on the screen.

"...We believe requiring a college degree, even if just for new programs, would end the ability for fire/EMS services to develop new education programs. This would leave colleges and universities as the only venue available for paramedic education and restrict a fire/EMS department’s ability to recruit and train paramedics from the whole communities they serve."

That's in the first paragraph of a position statement from the International Association of Fire Chiefs in response to the call for Paramedic programs to better prepare their students for the real world by making their programs part of an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree program.

They're against it.

I know, sky also blue.

The same folks who attend all the National Fire Academy Classes and make the line personnel take all the leadership classes to "expand their knowledge base" want Medics and EMTs to stay in the trenches.

A few disclosures before this rant REALLY gets going...
I am a proud, card carrying member, of the International Association of Firefighters.
I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Emergency Medical Services from the University of New Mexico.

You could say I am literally living proof that the IAFC statement is wrong.

Every argument they make about how EMS is not a traditional healthcare provider is EXACTLY where my education comes into play.

Let me address the drooling "BASIC FOR LIFE!" crowd real quick since they won't read much past this paragraph anyway:

Are you concerned that a class on English Literature and a music appreciation elective won't make you a better caregiver?  They won't.
Incase you didn't know, the specific programs have required units, prerequisites and classes designed to better prepare you for your chosen major.

Now, back to the ridiculous statement I quoted at the top.

"We believe that requiring a college degree, even if just for new programs, would end the ability for fire/EMS services to develop new education programs."


Is that what's holding you back?  Really?  I've been in the Fire Service 25 years so far and I haven't seen Fire Departments exactly striving ahead with quality in house Paramedic programs.  Sure, drop one or two decent programs in the comments to prove me wrong.  I've been to rural systems, I've been to urban systems.  Nothing has come close to touching the EMS education I received at the University of New Mexico EMS Academy.

If medic getting an AA at a 2 year program is going to negatively impact fire/EMS programs, then they should be impacted, then partner with the local school.  Not really that hard.

What's next?


"This would leave colleges and universities as the only venue available for paramedic education and restrict a fire/EMS department’s ability to recruit and train paramedics from the whole communities they serve."

I can't begin to describe how foolish this sounds.  Let me translate:

"Hi, I'm Brian and I'm 19 and I always wanted 2 be a fireman and I guess if you need PAramedics I'll sign up for that too."

"Hi, I'm Justin, I hold a Bachelor's Degree in EMS from UNM, Paramedic License and NR status, qualified Critical Care Paramedic (part of the degree program), I'm an AHA ACLS instructor (part of the degree program) and can hit the ground running with administrative tasks as assigned (since I learned how to do research, present research in written format and defend conclusions in the degree program)."

According to the IAFC, Brian is at a disadvantage.  Poor Brian.

Brian should get his butt in school and become a more qualified candidate.

Notice I haven't mentioned pay at all.  EMS pay won't go up until it is no longer privatized.  Argue that all you like, but it's true.

This position paper goes on to make all of the same Chicken Little arguments I've heard since I was an Explorer Scout in the early 1990s.  Trouble is, Fire Based EMS can work if you find the right people who WANT TO DO IT!  You know who wants to do it?  People who took the time to seek out the education to do it right.  Brian doesn't care about EMS, he'll say anything to learn to drive the big red truck, then end up getting his license pulled for malpractice leaving the FD to scrape the barrel again to find folks willing to give up their Truck spot to ride a Medic Unit.

Should every Medic be REQUIRED to complete a Bachelor's program?  No, but they're out there and are an amazing resource.  Paramedicine should be the second year of an Associate's degree, however, if for no other reason than to prove to me you can read, write, studied anatomy and physiology and took the effort to complete the task set forth.

It still surprises me when veteran fire dept trained medics will comment about my knowledge base in physiology with "Where did you learn that?"  and I reply "Pre-Med Anatomy II lab" and they don't believe I took all the same science and medicine classes the pre-meds did.

Does it make me a better Paramedic? YES
Did my electives like CCT Paramedic and Instructor help? YES
Did my base classes in Biology and History help?  YES

We need a better education program for EMS and the IAFC has chosen to circle the wagons with nothing more than a tired argument.

Will I anger some of them?  Maybe, maybe not.  

Perhaps I should sit at FDIC this year with a sign that says "Paramedicine should be a 2 year degree program.  Change my mind"


Comments

Nate Z said…
I fully agree with you except one point... changing our reimbursement from a for transport model to a clinical skills and payment model will help to bring up our pay far more than to get private EMS out of the game. Although I do agree that it should be county, municipal, or regional systems doing EMS. I love working third service municipal.
James said…
Nate Z, I only,agree with you in part. Fee-forTransport is a problem, but moving from it will not translate into better wages and working commotions automatically. I spent 17 years in the Privates. In my experience, better reimbursement translated into more money for the company, but it did not necessarily translate into more money for the employees. As long as the profit motive is involved and there is always another kid willing to do the job, wages will stay low.
James said…
Working *conditions*

Darn Autocorrect.
Ben said…
Not only are you correct but this is the system in my part of the country. In Virginia you’d be hard pressed to find a Paramedic program that isn’t part of an AAS. In some cases you can just take the EMS classes and not do the handful of additional credits needed to get an Associates but that would be an incredibly short sighted move since most departments in our area provide pay and promotional incentives for people with degrees. Additionally the quality of instruction is much better since there is 0 incentive to the schools to pump out subpar medics just for numbers. The Capstone test I took to “graduate” from the program made NR feel like a cakewalk. Some of this may be driven by the lack of private EMS in our state. The vast majority of EMS in VA is fire department based. The areas that don’t provide fire based transport EMS, have a municipal EMS agency be it volunteer or paid. Almost all private EMS are just medical transport services for dialysis and interfacility transports.