Report from the Trenches

Only on the front lines can you tell where the bullets are coming from.

 

Everywhere.

 

To say I might be in over my head is an understatement.  To say I thought it would be worse is also an understatement.

This is an entirely different world.  My commute is twice as long as it was 6 months ago when I first tested it, or maybe since it's an everyday thing now it just seemed half the time before.

I wake at 5 to make the train by 6 so I can do research till 7 and make the office by 8.  Then I have to time my departure to make the train right before the tens of thousands of others exiting the City at closing time.  It's different than wandering into the fire house after an hour and 20 minute drive.

That's the only drawback so far.

 

I realized on my first morning of reviewing charts and advanced interventions that I am now responsible for more than my own patients.

To borrow from the meme, "I get ALL the patients!"

Seriously. I am able to act in the best interests of each and every patient this system comes into contact with.  Sometimes that will mean counseling a provider or defending them from an MD unclear on the concepts of EMS.  Other times it will be discovering where we're not doing enough and finding the evidence to show it, then provide solutions to the command staff.

Some they will embrace, others they will reject.

I am not here to change the world for myself or even EMS, but for each and every person in my City who calls for help.  That is my new goal.  Not a 20 minute intervention, but a 20 week analysis of their experience and outcome.

 

Bring it.

Comments

Steve said…
Hang in there Cap.