1,000

This is my 1,000th post here on what I now call HMHQ.  One fracking thousand.  Gorram, that's a lot.


I have been putting a lot of thought into what this forum means to me and even considered shutting it down or at least no longer adding to it.


 


This therapy experiment worked.  I was able to overcome the PTSD I was experiencing and the little blog took on a life of it's own.  Many a night was spent ignoring my young family and fussing over every little pixel and post, word and emotion, trying to get out on the keyboard all the frustration I was feeling.  I'm not sure how it looks or feels on that side, but it worked great on this side.


 


Since getting my new gig here at work I've realized that what I used to post about just isn't me anymore.  It feels forced to try to put up a post that fits with what I've done in the past.  Gone are the days of the funny calls, silly patients and unbelievable dispatcher antics.  Here are the days of data analysis, chart reading and the occasional day in the field to remind me what this is all about.


 


My initial intention was to make post #1000 my last, I even told Motorcop I was going to convert the homepage and just walk away.  A large part of me still thinks that is the best idea.


However, not being one to go with the flow, I've decided to give this forum a rebirth of sorts.


August 31st 2013 is Happy Medic's 5th birthday.  But he's just that logo up in the corner.  What used to consume my life is now just a part of it.


But this site was never really his and his alone, it's mine too and I have hobbies and interests that extend past trying to make my day job better.  At some point I came to realize that work is one thing that I do to make home better.


In recent months the Mrs and I have gotten serious about our finances (mostly inspired by GPS Financial Coaching), my eldest is getting way more fun to talk to and the younger one's personality is beginning to show through the tantrums and crying.  Kind of.


This forum needs to spread it's base for me to once again blow off some steam and get some things out onto the virtual paper so they don't drive me insane.  Not that being insane is a bad thing, it's just a touch inconvenient at the present juncture.


In the weeks ahead the blog is going to split into three main categories.  Don't worry, all the posts you've seen will still be here, but will be organized slightly different.


I'm splitting the blog into "Fire/EMS" "Home Brew" and "Life" to accommodate my new interests while keeping the old ones close.  You can choose to read only 1 or all three together depending on whether or not you like the new topics.  I figured this way when I talk about brewing or the family and all you want is EMS, you don't need to see it and vice-a-versa.


 


So please excuse the virtual dust as I eek out a few minutes here and there to fiddle with the layout, categories and the like.  There is no set date on this project, just something I've been putting off.


 


A special thank you to all of you who participated in the Happy Medic and helped me overcome a rough spot, then inspired me to do better.


Thank You!


-Justin "HM" Schorr



Comments

Daniel said…
Justin, HappyMedic,

A heartfelt thanks. As a budding medic I discovered your blog, and followed you and Mark, Medic999 into EMS2.0. Every day I try and better myself, on every run I try to go that extra step for my patient, and a lot of it is due to you guys.

I was a bit heartbroken when you earned your promotion as I knew it would mostly take you out of the field, but I knew it was only a matter of time. I still look forward to reading your posts when they do come out. And I really look forward to seeing where this new rendition of the blog goes. Especially since Alabama has now legalized homebrewing, which is something I've been wanting to try my hand at.

Stay safe out there,
Daniel
MotorCop said…
So long as we keep up #TheCrossoverShow, hanging out, #KiltedtoKickCancer, and the like I give my blessing, sir.

I've actually considered doing something similar. I shall watch and judge from afar.

;-)
Happy to hear your not retiring the blog sir!
Andy said…
Happy to hear you aren't retiring the blog. I have loved following you thru the blog. I'm looking forward to where this blog is heading, since I do home brew as well as EMS.

Thank you for this blog, time, energy and everything you have done for EMS worldwide.
insomniacmedic said…
As long as you keep posting, I'll keep coming back to read! It's been a heck of a ride so far... :)
Greg Friese said…
Fitness - physical, mental, and fiscal - are critical for all emergency responders and their families. Congrats on getting serious about the finances with Mrs. HM. A monthly budget and being debt free (except the house) for 5.5 years has been revolutionary for our marriage and lifestyle. Looking forward to future posts and successes. Congratulations.