Talk about tough luck

I actually got to do some patient care this morning.  Calm yourselves.


 


A car locked up their brakes on the Bay Bridge and the following motorcycle did his best not to hit it.  In the process he got hurt a touch.


It happened just ahead of me around a turn near a tunnel (Yes we have a tunnel in the middle of our bridge) so when the lane stopped and a person ahead got out and ran ahead, I knew I had to help.  That's just what we do, right?  I carry no kit, so as cars go around I pull forward, hit the hazard lights, change out of my driving slippers (Yes, I wear slippers when I make my 3 hour daily roundtrip) and approach the bike.


 


Secondary assessment is being completed when over my shoulder I hear "Justin!  What do you need!?"


"Wow" I think to myself, "48's got here freaking fast!"


I turn to look and who's coming up to help?


My CQI counterpart from one of our competitors/partners.


2 CQIs alone in a tunnel on a bridge.  Sounds like a bitchin romance novel, but no, it was all this person had for a few minutes until the engine and medic units arrived and were able to complete a full assessment and render care.


 


As the patient was loaded in the ambulance I gave him my info and told the medic "I'm reading this chart later."


He shook his hands in the "Ohhhh, I'm soooo scared" fashion and smiled, then got right back to patient care.


 


 

Comments