Off Duty EMT and been drinking? Guess what?

You're not an EMT.

This may seem like it's coming from left field, and it kind of is.  One of the perks of having a website is that I get to see all the terms people type into search engines to find the site.  Until the Hangover movie I was the #1 google result for "strippers and cocaine."  True Story.

However a google search today troubled me a touch.  Especially since they hit me 6 times with it:

"if im an off duty emt and ive been drinking" (sp)

Well, Tiger, I think you might be a few into your day already so if you were the one doing this search put the drink down and let's have a chat.

Your search cut off a bit early didn't it?  Was there something else there like "should I help people?" or "will I get fired?" or "do I have to use apostrophes?"

Here's the short answer to all your possible questions:

No.  Except the apostrophes part.

As soon as you take a drink, smoke, snort, shoot, heck even if you pop an ambien or a flexoril you're not an EMT, you're just you.  While I have been known to break that rule, it was because one of my close friends had been badly cut in a fight.  I didn't go running into a situation inebriated simply because I just got signed off on splinting.

Take off the star off duty and have a responsible time doing what it is you do, but remember that anything you do while using that title or wearing that star reflects not only on you but the tens of thousands of us who know the difference between Professionalism and irresponsibility.

"if im an off duty emt and ive been drinking" yields far more relevant discussions on this topic and I hope you read them.

Comments

Texas Tom said…
your website is still 7th in line for strippers and coke on the google machine... just thought you might like to know.

As for the drink, the moment any hits my lips, I become joe blow... patient care and alcohol do not mix. PERIOD!