Doctor on Board - Professional Courtesy

"Units responding to the unconscious, be advised a Doctor is on scene."

Possibly the most feared words in EMS.  Not because we're heading to a scene where a Doctor might be needed, but because finding a physician in the wild is unusual.

No, the most common "Doctor" to encounter on scene is a PhD or specialized MD.

Not unlike the scene in Mother Jugs and Speed when the Doctor on scene happens "to be the best dermatologist in all of Los Angeles."

"Well, if acne breaks out, we'll let you know."

While all MDs have received more training than the average Paramedic, most of it was not geared towards the situation they encounter in the wild.

On a recent job we were told a doctor was tending the patient.  As the plane landed and the door opened the look on the Purser's face told us all we needed to know.

Sure enough, a Psychologist a few drinks into the trip decided to help when a man was feeling dizzy.  No assessment was done and according to the crew he never even questioned the patient, but wanted to speak to the Captain about the need to land immediately.

Luckily the airlines have a beefed up dial a nurse resource who advised to continue to destination based on the assessment completed by the flight crew.

When we tried to begin our assessment he insisted we listen to his report prior to contacting the patient.  Luckily for the patient these folks are my specialty.  I gathered him to the side and took his rambling report, thanked him and sent him on his way while my crew made contact.  Then I leaned over to the flight crew who knew the patient's name, vitals, history and everything else I needed.

Professional Courtesy dictates that I listen to your concerns and address them as appropriate.  I would only ask that if you have had a few drinks on the plane, haven't practiced medicine in awhile or have a PhD in something other than medicine, maybe hang back and just make sure the flight crew does what they do.

Oh, and we'll let you know if his dizziness makes him depressed.

 

I speak from experience on this topic from both sides, remember?

Comments

Brenda R. said…
I'm a skilled care RN (and former First Responder from years ago) and would be the first to admit handling a medical emergency at 35,000 ft would be way out of my comfort zone. I would only come forward if asked by the flight crew then would ask right away, "what does your medical service recommend". I can do CPR and operate an AED but unless they need assistance with wound care, an ostomy, or IV (my work areas) I'm would likely just be in the way. On the lighter side, maybe there is a benefit to being psycho-analyzed at 35,000 ft by a PhD under the influence of ETOH???
Andrew Randazzo said…
This is probably really nerdy, but I am also day-dreaming about the "what ifs". When I'm sitting in church, on a plane, driving down the way, or whatever. I'm always picturing something going wrong and how I would (or wouldn't) respond. Is that just me or is it the life of a Paramedic!?