Happy FDIC!

I have arrived in Indianapolis for FDIC. After arriving late I got a text from pal of the blog Steve Whitehead from the EMT Spot.   In the sea of blue workshirts, FD T-shirts and hats was Steve and his cadre of friends. We talked as if we were all probies back in the day, instantly comfortable with stories, fishing tales and respectful disagreements on the quality of beer available at each establishment visited.

This is the side effect of FDIC that for too many has become the draw: Bars downtown overflowing with firefighters, scantly clad bar maidens and plenty of drinks.

Luckily for me, the nerd, our conversations went from training requirements, to wooden ladders to standardizing expectations on the fireground.

Eventually, and not long into the evening, Steve and I got that awkward question: "How did you guys meet?"

Our answer was quick and brought a laugh to us and a stare to them.

"Oh, we met on the internet."

TODAY'S SCHEDULE:

1030
FDNY Deputy Chief Frank Viscuso's class on his book Step Up and Lead. I hope to learn more about Fire Service Leadership traits (a theme you'll see me chasing a lot this week). I chose this class based not only on the topic, but when the description mentioned "...elevate their ability to lead themselves and others."

1530
Friend of the blog Bob Atlas from Fire Alumni fame is presenting 11 Essentials of the Company Officer. Not only is it a great topic I hope to learn from but I'll go and support my friend by laughing at his jokes and offering a familiar smile.

I've got the 1330 slot open for now, debating some technical suppression stuff to break up all this leadership training.

Hope to see you here!

-Justin

PS, in case you somehow blinked...I'm presenting Friday.

FDIC image

Comments

Matt said…
HM,

Long time reader of the blog, and recently took the Step Up and Lead Class. One point of order, Chief Viscuso is a member of the Kearny, NJ fire department, not the FDNY.

Carry on!
thehappymedic said…
I didn't even realize I wrote that! Thank you sir!