the Bucket List Fallacy

Fallacy - a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument.

Bucket List - a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime.

 

Many people these days have created a bucket list.  This is a list of experiences and trips they are going to make before they die.  Many of them are dreamed up by a 25 year old to the regret of the 65 year old.

When the time comes to finally start checking off the bucket list our bodies may not be up to the challenge.

As a Paramedic in one of the world's busiest international airports I have to share something very important that you may not want to hear:

I have your bucket.

I had no idea how many people shared my ideas about retirement.  Mainly that I would bust my ass now so that I can party later.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it.  We're young, the kids are young, no sense seeing the world yet, that's what retirement is for.  Save up the cash, get the kids out of the house and make a run for it!  When we're older we'll be able to afford the traveling lifestyle we deserve!

That is, if you are healthy enough to make the trip.  Every day I meet someone who had my plan. Everyday I meet a man or woman who didn't anticipate 15 hour flights with 2-3 hours in line at customs.  Everyday I meet someone who just wanted to get to (Insert town here) to see their family, but collapsed in line at security because they didn't have breakfast.

Their plans are ruined.  Not just the itinerary expiring as they watch me complete my assessment, but the next trip, and the next.

The entire bucket list revolves around their physical ability to travel and too many people are waiting too long.

The look in their eyes and the eyes of their spouses, children and families when they suddenly realize that the European cruise is cancelled because they have to go to the hospital to rule out a new cardiac event from dad kills me a little every time I see it.

If you take into account sometimes I see it more than once a day, I die a little bit a lot.  It really bothered me until the wife and I discovered a new way to live our lives:

To actually live our lives.

We have adopted a new philosophy: Places, Not Things.

What it simply means is that the trinkets we usually found ourselves spending on for this calendar date or that Hallmark holiday simply become reasons to travel as a family.  To take adventures while we're young enough to make the trip and the kids old enough to remember it.

We have a bucket list of places we want to see before we die, but we're no longer waiting to empty it.  If anything I want to enter retirement with an empty bucket and just see what happens.

Call it foolish, or a waste of money, sure, but go ahead and add up the cost of all those gifts and toys you're buying and tell me that is better than a night a few hours away, just as a family, taking an adventure.

My Father's Day gift this year was a great night away at a local beach side amusement park town.  No ties, no #1 dad mugs, no new cars or expensive gadgets, but instead I got smiles, laughs, hugs and the ability to say "This was great, how can we top this?"

 

Don't wait until it is too late to get out there and do what you want to do.  Not every one of the average 65,000 daily departures is kept from their flight for health reasons but not everyone of them is leaving on a once in a lifetime trip either.

Do me a favor and look at your bucket list.  Now imagine looking at it at age 60.  65?  70?  Can you still do all those things?

 

Why not do them now and tell those stories at 60, 65, 70.  Maybe, just maybe, one of your friends didn't listen to us now and can't make those trips.  They'll be glad we can tell them all about it.

 

If you decide not to take my advice and you happen to find yourself too sick or tired to take that trip of a lifetime don't get upset, just hand me your bucket.  I've got an entire stack of them out behind the firehouse.

Comments