Acute Incarceritis - International Flavour

See what I did there?

We all know the story of the person who, when faced with impending jail time, suddenly remembers their out of control Type 3 Diabetes and severe asthma and requests an ambulance.  Well, they don't really, but PD sees a chance to dodge an arrest and gives us a call.

But what happens when the Acute Incarceritis occurs outside the United States?

THE EMERGENCY

A man is feeling ill in the customs line

THE ACTION

I would too if I just spent 16 hours on a plane and got the news he did.

Traveling for a job interview and banking his entire life savings on a one way ticket and landing the gig, our patient has discovered that he will not be allowed entry into the United States.

Ever see that movie with Tom Hanks "The Terminal" where the guy gets stuck in between the USA and his (spoilers) war torn nation that ceases to exist?  Same kind of thing going on here only this fellow's home country is still open for business.

Customs has no choice but to send him back home on the next flight.

Not that he has a home in that country anymore, but you get the idea.

Faced with the prospect of returning on another 16 hour flight without the sweet new job, wouldn't you know it, he is now sick.

A full assessment doesn't find the outward measurable signs of any illness we can treat or identify.  His vital signs and body could be used for  the textbook one could say.

And this next part is the part I always love.

When he asked if there was anything we could do for him, I honestly answered in the negative and asked him what he wanted to do.

"If you think I'm OK then I guess I'll stay here.  Well, not really.  You know what I mean."

He didn't demand transport.  He didn't spout some version of "I know my rights as a patient!"

He took my professional opinion and respected it.  It caught me off guard.

 

Always does.

Comments