42 Years of Experience

I was recently given the opportunity to speak with a nurse of 42 years.

You see where this is going, don't you?

THE EMERGENCY

A woman in her 60s is semi conscious, difficulty breathing.

THE ACTION

When we arrive to the scene we are met with the waving of arms and frantic pointing.  Sitting in a chair is a woman in her 60s, vomiting into an air sickness bag.  We call those ground sickness bags when used that way, but I digress.

She says she feels horrible, aches and chills for a few days, running a steady 101 F fever for just as long...cough, runny nose.

"Well, it sounds to me like..." I start but never get a chance to finish.
"Excuse me, I can give a report to whoever is in charge. I'm a nurse of 42 years."

She went on to explain how the patient was semi-conscious on the plane, then walked to baggage claim, sat down and began to feel ill.  When asked why we weren't summoned to the plane she told me, "It didn't seem like an emergency then, but then she started to vomit, so I activated 911."

I look over at teh crew assessing her and everything is coming back normal, they're already turning the form over to the refusal signature page.
"Oh, no, you have to take her in, she'll need blood draws. I'm a nurse of 42 years, I know these things."

Sigh...

Comments