Firefighter Basics - Light

Here's another recommendation for Firefighter Basic equipment your Department may, or may not provide for you.  Today we discuss light on the fireground and while performing searches and fire attack.

It is always important to have 2 sources of light incase one fails or is lost.  This does not include the lamp we may bring in to assist with search or overhaul from the Engine or Truck, but on our person.

Back in the day we put little plastic flashlights on our helmets.  Turns out they melted often so most folks on the job had 3 or 4 in their locker ready to go.

First, you'll need a coat light.

You'll see me refer to "coat" this and "pants" that, meaning that is where I carry them and where you'll most likely need them.


The coat light most useful, I've found, is a right angle light with a clip.  I carry a Pelican 3715 for a number of reasons.  First, I love the Pelican brand.  I carried a Pelican "Big Ed" Flashlight for close to 15 years, popping it back into its charger once a week and it served me great.  One day, however, it stopped taking a charge and I reverted to an old fashioned hand held light.

I took my Big Ed with me to FDIC knowing they'd be on the show floor.  I handed it to them and asked if anyone in the booth would mind taking a look.  They appreciated seeing a well worn light and handed me the smaller, more functional, 3715 to try.

I later sent the Big Ed back in and they replaced it.  Warranties...read them.


The Pelican 3715 has a setting where three LEDs shine downwards instead of straight ahead (in addition to a great amount of light straight ahead when needed!) Anyone who has been inside a fire and seen a bright light walking towards them knows how annoying that can be.  This setting allows me to have my walking path illuminated and I can run an MCI on the hood of the buggy and not blind everyone walking up to me.

It runs on AA batteries which I like since the recharging station takes time.

I also recommend the Fox Fury Discover Tilt as a helmet light.  Helmet lights have evolved considerably in my time in service, like I said earlier we used to use little plastic ones.
I've been wearing a Fox Fury Head Lamp for 10 years (The Command 420) and only recently switched to the Discover Tilt after they sent me one to demo.  It too runs on AA batteries so I can carry one set of batteries for both lights.



So there you go, make sure you've got 2 sources of light, preferably one that points where you look, and be safe out there!


Comments