...for the industrial accident - hand injury

Uh-oh...Happy is back to his old format of "You called 911...for this?"

THE DISPATCH

Male, 40s, hand injury, employee of large local establishment. Captain special called for the OSHA report.

THE ACTION

The last one of these was a 2 digit amputation at the palm so we're swift out the door.

First unit onscene cancels the rescue, slows the ambulance and cancels me, so I go in service but continue in to see what happened.

Patient is holding their wrist just above the cuff of the nitrile glove on their hand.  Sometimes food service workers will apply a bandage, then the glove to apply pressure to a knife cut.

This is not one of those cases.

"I got poked by a toothpick in my palm." He tells us pointing to the glove still intact.  After we ask to remove it, there is no sign of an injury to his palm.

"What hospital are you taking him to?" the supervisor who activated 911 for this asks.

"None, really.  He doesn't appear to be injured.  There isn't an OSHA case here, so he can refuse any or all care on his own." She isn't having any of that.

"This is a workman comp case and the ambulance is required.  It's company policy."  It isn't but she doesn't know I know that.

"This is a 'He isn't injured case' and by activating us we are now legally required to document that he is uninjured which will make his claims quite complicated.  If he wants to take a break and ice his palm we're more than happy to help, but an ambulance to an Emergency Room is not warranted."

As the ambulance crew approached I waved for them to slow.  You see, we still can't refuse this person an ambulance, so I'll need just a few more moments to clarify his intentions.

"Do you want an ambulance to the hospital or just a few minutes to rest?" I ask, having stepped between the patient and their supervisor.

"I'm good I guess."

Refusal signed and wouldn't you know it...the supervisor was asked to witness it.

10-8

Comments