CISD with OKGO - Explaining the method

CISD - Critical Incident Stress Debriefing

OKGO - A band


Over the past 10 years of coming to terms with my injury I've been sharing with you how the lyrics and videos OKGO have created have helped me heal.

Each time a new video comes out I find myself looking back on the series and it still holds true.  Wondering what I mean?  Dive down the rabbit hole starting with "Don't Ask me" the first step in dealing with PTSD using OKGO.

I've been asked a number of times "Does the band know about this?"  I have no idea.

In June of 2017 OKGO was featured in a TED Talk about creativity.  I watched it when it first came out and enjoyed it.  It explains their process in not thinking of the ideas for the video, but instead discovering them.

I didn't think much about it until a little while back when I got some voice messages (602-MEDIC99) from someone asking how to go about talking to someone about burnout.  The person was a close friend and this first responder was looking for advice on how to better understand what their friend was going through.  They mentioned the OKGO series and mentioned that there was something missing: The assembly instructions.

It was then that I remembered this TED talk and realized that it had been there the whole time, in chronological order, the piece that helps you wrap everything up with a nice bow.

It begins with "You Can't Keep Letting it Get You Down" Part IV of our recovery series (Rube Goldberg edition) and OK GO playing live.  Enjoy the song as well as the 13 minutes that follow to see how they let the ideas come to them instead of forcing something someone had already tried.



From the talk, "This is how it feels to get an idea.  They're made of these separate chunks, sort of floating out there, and if you're receptive and you're observant, and crucially, if you're in exactly the right place, you can get them to just DING line up."

That had far more of an impact on me now than it did the first time.  Keep looking everywhere and anywhere for a chance to heal.  Eventually you'll find the combination of feelings that helps.

In short, sometimes "Ready? Set. GO!" isn't the right format. 

Cheers.
-HM
We always think it's over...it seems to never end: Part VII - Nothing Changes Much

Comments