Yes, I really do use this stuff

From time to time we in the blogosphere have an opportunity to try something out.  I seek out things I wish I had or have used and share them in this little room I made on the internet.

You come here, take a look around and head back to cat videos and memes about Spongebob I'd wager.  That's what I do anyway.

However, a few of you have missed the disclaimer on my Resources page about what I recommend and why.  I only review and recommend products I have used or want to use.  A few years ago I was being offered all sorts of free stuff to use and review but I didn't want to use it.  Vests I thought were useless, footwear with a gimmick to fasten (It is no longer on the market) and even weird EMT supplies wander into my inbox and I have to decline.

So know that when I make a recommendation, it is genuine, not just a chance to get some clicks.

Case in point.  Recently I saw the Channel Lock 87 tool on sale on Amazon.  I shared the link and added it to my newly formatted Resources page.  It became the very first Firefighter Basics product I reviewed.  A reader sent me an anonymous email stating that he didn't believe I actually used everything I talk about.

"Your page is a just a big ad for crap you don't use."

So the next morning at work I grabbed the Channel Lock 87 out of my right jacket pocket and put it on my bag for a quick picture.

There's my helmet sticking out of my gear bag (I mentioned this trying to get a larger bag recommendation on Twitter not long ago) with the Fox Fury Discover Tilt I recommend and my trusty snips.  My mask bag is on my SCBA, my jacket light on my jacket and the chocks in my right pant pocket.

I share these things so that other Firefighters who wander into this little corner of the internet can get an honest recommendation for something I wish I had when I got started.  Yes, I really do use this stuff.

-HM

Comments